The conflict that usually arise in any building contracts has to do with the quality of materials used in the building which contradicts the materials specified on papers. There had been cases where contractors feel bad due to wrong accusation from their clients, the accusation could come based on the low knowledge of the client relating to the building materials. In most situation, the conflict could lead to loss of trust and subsequent denying of any future contract by the client. In such case, it is the duty of any builder and contractors to educate their clients on the materials to be used in building, their costs, their different brands, quality, and the best one to be used in the building project. That should be done before embarking on the contract, to be on safer side it is good to show a sample of your quoted materials to your client for taking of picture and market comparison of prices if your client wants.
The reason conflict of using substandard material for contracts could be that;
- The contractor wants to make an excess gain, hence; avoiding to carry the client along in the process of carrying out the project.
- The contractor may have under quoted the costs of materials in the contract during the contract bidding and may resort to looking for sub standard and cheaper materials to meet up instead of informing the client of the initial mistake.
- The contractor may have used some part of the money meant for the contract to solve personal problems.
- The client may be the fault, especially when the client is taken advice or suggestions from other builder or expert that is not the contractor, in such case; there may be conflict of accusing the contractor of not following the real plan unduly, so it is always good to keep a copy of materials and procedures listed on your contract agreement for reference purpose.
- Unforeseen accident or damage could cause conflict between the two parties.
But besides all these and many other factors, there cases that the contractor will deliberately want to cheap and dupe the client because, the client may not have knowledge about the materials and the processes involved in the contract, this is worst when the client is a very busy person.
The cheating that occurs in the roofing of buildings is usually done when long-pan aluminum roofing sheet is involved. The reason for this, is because the contractors will measure the areas that need the roofing and quote the number of long-pan aluminum that the space need and such quotation may not be clear to the client, hence; it is possible to over quote the number needed to the detriment of the client who will pay for it.
Another way to cheat on the client in aluminum roofing is through the use of wrong thickness. A good contractor will clarify the client with different ranges of aluminum roofing sheet thickness in the market and their cost while a bad contractor will not do that. The thickness of aluminum roofing sheet in most Nigeria market ranges from 0.7mm to 1mm thickness, the thicker the roofing sheet, the costlier it will be. So bad contractor could quote 1mm thickness during contracts bidding and use 0.8mm thickness without the knowledge of the client. The bad aspect of this is that even though the contractor showed you the sample of the 1mm thickness of the aluminum roofing sheet, it will be hard to know if it is the same 1mm when 0.8mm is used for the roofing.
The best way to catch such bad contractors is to employ measure strategy on the thickness of the samples, and to achieve that you will need micrometer or vernier calipers. Hiring a small micrometer screw gauge or vernier caliper wouldn’t cost more than N300, or you may just acquire one at the cost of N1500 to ensure you are not cheated.
HOW TO USE THE MICROMETER SCREW GAUGE
Place the spaced jaws in-between in a vertical position and insert a small part of the aluminum roofing sheet in them screw the gauge until it tension lightly with the surfaces of the roofing sheet, then read the millimeter on the calibration side to know how many millimeters(mm) thickness the roofing sheet is having. If you have no knowledge of reading the measuring instrument calibration, consider buying the digital type for direct reading.
Recent search terms:
- how to check thickness of aluminium roofing sheet (2)
- how to know quality aluminium roofing sjeets (1)
- types of aluminum roofing sheets (1)